Friday, August 3, 2012

Blog Your Book?

I'm trying to process, bit by bit, an article in Writer's Digest about the new trend - blogging your book.  The premise is that many books that have been published recently started as blogs, so that this is a viable way for a new writer to find an audience and prove his or her worth to a potential publisher.

I'm not so sure how I feel about this.  Part of me finds it blissfully logical - of COURSE!  If you have something to say, and if you can say it well and clearly enough to earn that audience through blogging, a publisher is far more likely to see your worth... after all, dedicated blog followers will buy a printed book, particularly if it has additional content not found online.  Right?

The other part of me recoils.  Isn't this just a step above - or, perhaps more accurately, to one side - from self-publishing?  And... well, there's that whole idea of "if you can get the milk for free, why buy the cow?"  Not to mention the P-word.  PLAGIARISM.  These days, it's hard to teach kids - even college age kids - that just because you found it online, it doesn't mean it's free for the taking. 

I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the water... I've got my master's project, a very audience-specific book manuscript, and haven't been able to find a publisher.  I really don't want to self-pub.  So... I'll try blogging it.  If you're a teacher and you love animals, this blog will be for you - Critters in the Classroom.  I'll also be shamelessly begging for help getting the word out about it - you have been warned.  And I'll blog here about the progress. 

Commence experimentation.

Links to Book Blogging for the Curious:

No comments:

Post a Comment